Life in Eugene


Now that Karen and I have started to feel a little better we’re getting to really know how to get around Eugene by bike or walking. We’re typically walking between 5 and 7 miles a day and bicycling quite a bit more. Much like Marathon Florida we were stopped by a person in a car asking directions, guess what, we were able to give him the what he needed. 

Go Ducks! when in Rome.

Willamette River from bicycle bridge looking East

Willamette River from bicycle bridge looking West



































The other day after work Sam took me on a road ride where we rode about 30 miles through the foothills around Eugene. It was a great ride, I forgot how fast road bikes are after not riding one for so long. I was riding Sam’s Trek Madone while he was on his single speed road bike. He told me there wasn’t too many hills but I question this statement since the name of the main route was Hill Road. 

Yesterday Sam took me mountain biking at Alsea Falls a bit south of Corvallis and it was really something. I have never biked like this before so I wasn’t quite sure what I was in for. Let  me first say that Sam said there would be some hills and climbing, he was correct. After our trek to the top of the trail via a mix of gravel and rough pavement I checked my phone app and found Cyclometer reported we ascended 2700 feet. I assume the app is correct but I know that I was huffing and puffing when we reached the top of the trailhead. The area was all forest blocking the sunlight which made it dark enough I had to put clear lenses in my glasses to see properly. Now the cool part starts, Downhill.
Alsea Falls. Not much water due to long drought

Great mountain biking from what I can tell. Much better than Illinois.



















Sam said it wouldn’t be bad but another person about my age from Eugene told me that it was fairly technical and to be careful so I wasn’t really too sure. Just before we started down the trail Sam said that there’s one bad area and that he would warn me before hand, “I’ll follow you” I said and we began. Shortly thereafter Sam was out of sight and I was doing my best to stay on the trail and not hit any stumps, large roots, logs or large rocks. I have to admit I was having a good time almost forgetting about the long slog to the top. I was zipping across the moguls and around the switchbacks quickly enjoying myself when through my bad ears I heard Sam warn me of “The bad area”. It wasn’t too bad but very steep and could have been an issue if I wasn’t warned. I skidded down the area, my arms extended out as far as I could holding the handlebars and my ass hanging as far back as possible doing what I could not to flip over the front of the bike. The remainder of the trail was very cool, much smoother with less rocks and roots and the occasional forest troll someone placed in the middle of the forest. I’ll have to brag a bit and tell you that I actually passed 2 other bikers. I did enjoy myself, kept all my teeth and only fell once (very minor). During the car ride back I thanked Sam because without his prodding I would have never done this type of biking. Of course I don’t own a $7000 titanium bike with suspension either.

After Apple picking it was corn maze time
Nicole posing for a picture.

At least there was one friendly cow.

Our first view of the Pacific.
























By the time we arrived back at Sam’s house Karen and Nicole had dinner on and I was able to take a shower, shave and relax. By the end of the night I could feel my legs tightening and the soreness setting in. We watched the remainder of Thursday night football and other TV shows and it was off to bed.

Morning came and my legs were sore but not too bad. Karen and I ate breakfast and went for a ride around town looking for a warmer jacket to wear while riding. No luck, I guess I need to deal with the cool morning air while out here. It’s really not that cold, 40’s most mornings and 70’s to low 80’s during the day. The daily weather is kinda weird to me since many days start out as overcast and cool until 12 to 1 pm when the sun comes out and it warms the area. The locals say this isn’t typical but it’s what I’ve observed. Karen and I have been able to catch up inside TV watching and internet time while our hosts are at work which is nice to be able to sit back with only exploring the area at a slow pace daily. Tonight we’re going to Octoberfest for beer and who knows what to eat. We’ll see.

Beautiful dunes and beach near Florence Oregon

Karen getting her feet wet for the first time in the cold Pacific

We arrived shortly after low tide.

Sam and Nicole on this blustery day at the beach

Karen enjoying her day at the beach.
















Nighttime came and off we went across town to Octoberfest. I can’t really say what I expected but I can say that this wasn’t it. The place was small and reminded me of an old service station that was converted into a bar with seating outside (A liquor license with chairs). They did have an overwhelming selection of local craft beers, it wasn’t bad but not what I expected. To explain what I trying to say let me tell you that I wanted an appetizer so I went to the closest food truck (Costa Rican Food) and picked up some fried Yucca. The person running the food truck said if I didn’t like it he would return my money. There was no need for that, the Yucca was very good. Since we couldn’t find anything really appealing to eat after a few beers we decided to go to “Hot Mama’s”. This is Sam’s favorite hot wing place, both he and Nicole advised us of poor service but the service was good for how busy the place was at the time. All the food was good, the raspberry habanero wings were as hot as I could go without future consequences. Hot Mama’s get thumbs up from me.






There’s a couple of things that I meant to say about Eugene; First most people are very liberal (you know this isn’t an issue for me) lots of Toyota Prius (with Bernie Sanders bumper stickers)  and bike riding, very cool. The downside it they are also very politically correct, “Travelers” are their terms for the local homeless population. I can’t call them bums, homeless of vagrants. The “Travelers” haven't bothered me at all, no panhandling or begging but I notice they monopolize the local park benches, tables and shelters. If I were wanting to use the public areas this would be a problem for me. Also depending what source you reference you’ll find Eugene up near the top of the cities with the most stolen bicycles. Some of you may know that Sam has been all over Illinois and never had a bike stolen, here in Eugene it only took a couple of months and 2 locks didn’t stop the determined thieves. Local authorities blame the “Travelers or Druggies” probably one and the same. The other thing that I find strange, my ears are still clogged and I can’t get Allegra D, Zyrtec D or any meds like this without a prescription. Seems crazy to me. Luckily I found a guy who had some that I could used to clear my ears.

There are several park benches like this one.
Last night Sam and I went mountain biking at Why Pass just a bit outside of Eugene. In my opinion Alsea Falls was much better but it may have to do with the fact that I fell twice, nothing bad. I think each time we mountain bike I’m getting better but I still can’t fly down the hills like Sam nor do I want to at my age. 

Today was a lazy day for Karen and I as we only rode 15 miles or so and lazed about quite a bit. Karen made a nice dinner and we watched the Cubs and Black Hawks games. We had been planning on going to Northern California to see the Redwoods then Seattle but the weather is going to be better in Bend Oregon. Sam and Nicole tell us that Bend is very much like Breckenridge Colorado. Sam and I are looking forward to the hiking and mountain biking while Karen and Nicole have some other things planned while we’re busy. I can tell you that we’ll be following the “Ale Trail”, so we’ll how that goes for me.
Sea Lion coming to check us out

Beautiful Oregon coastline.

More coastline off Highway 101. Hope to bike it next year.

Much of the coast line looks like this.

Biking Why Pass. Sun starting to set.

Windy Oregon coast Selfie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down