Biking in Bend Oregon


October 9 we left Eugene in the morning headed for Bend Oregon. Sam has told Karen and I so many great things about the area and town that we were chomping at the bit to arrive and get started doing everything.  Let me start by saying that the scenery during the trip was quite spectacular especially closer to Bend. The area is on the eastern edge of the Cascade Mountain Range and is known as the high desert, its elevation of about 3700 feet.

Visit to Clear Lake. You can see how it got its name.















Beautiful area on a beautiful day.

After arriving we checked into our hotel and took a walk downtown with Nicole and Sam. Sam and I did a quick check of the downtown area and decided it was time to go do some mountain biking while Karen and Nicole explored more of the downtown scene. Sam decided to drive to “Phil’s Trail Complex” rather than riding to save a little time. Before we knew it we were biking, doing the climb to the trailhead to start our decent down the nicely put together trails. The area is not nearly as wooded as the trails outside of Eugene and pretty dusty. On our accent I followed Sam, he stopped several times allowing time to drink some water and clear the dust out of my mouth. The area was quiet and full of bees. The bees didn’t sting, they were just annoying and seemed to be everywhere each time we stopped. It wasn’t bad but gave us good incentive to get our butts back moving. It was a decent ride up as the trails were planned out so well that I never had to really exert myself too much. The App on my phone showed we climbed about to just above 4900 feet.  Not that it’s any surprise but the trip down was much nicer than the trip up. I of course took my time knowing Sam would be waiting somewhere down below for me. I did get passed by 2 riders who were both locals so I didn’t feel too bad. One of the guys was from West Dundee Illinois and said he visited Bend a few years ago and he and his wife liked it so much they decided to stay. Also, I only wiped out once resulting in a scabbed left knee and elbow.


Oregon Spirit Distillery's Warehouse

I could possibly adopt a barrel.
 We left the complex knowing we’d be back before we had to go back to Eugene. We arrived back at the hotel finding Karen and Nicole preparing our nights itinerary. We needed showers first and it felt great and I watched the shower water turn brown as the dust from the trails peeled from my skin. Shortly thereafter we were walking back downtown for dinner and to follow the “Ale Trail” which could result in a long night. We had dinner and stopped to enjoy several of the products from the many local breweries. A quick search of the Bend visitors info shows 21 breweries in Bend alone. Let me say we did not visit too many. My personal favorite for the night was the last one, Silver Moon Brewing (http://beermebend.com/bend-oregon-craft-beer-silver-moon-brewing/). They had a punk bad going when we got there and another started shortly thereafter. Morning was going to come quick so we all decided it was time to leave and get some sleep. Off the hotel.




Morning came quick and the “Cheap Ass” in me had to get up because the hotel’s free breakfast was going to end and of course I needed a free breakfast. It was breakfast and trust me I now know why it’s free. Afterwards it was decided that we were going hiking up Pilot Butte which is an extinct volcano in Bend. It’s only 500 feet accent but a good walk including the walk from the hotel. It was way too windy to mountain bike today with gusts to 30 mph and the area occasionally looking like a dust storm. We did however put on over 10 miles hiking around the area. I’m sure my feet will feel it later. We visited a couple more stops on the “Ale Trail “ and “Oregon Spirit Distillers” where we got a tour of the small facility and lesson and on the distilling of Bourbon, Whisky, Gin, Vodka and Rum. Did I forget to mention the tasting? I did leave with a bottle of “One Eyed Jon’s “ rum which I have plans for at a date to be determined.
After checking the price I think I'll just try a sample. 

Another spot to eat, drink and watch the Cubs.
Sam and I had made plans to wake up at 8 and go mountain biking for a couple of hours, come back to the hotel take a quick shower and head back. I woke up ready and willing, Sam not so much when he looked at the temperature. When I went for breakfast I noticed the mountains were covered with snow at the higher elevations, it was very cool but I thought once I was up and moving around we’d be plenty warm. After Sam woke up and got his blood flowing we decided to go back up to Phil’s Trailhead one more time and see if I can make it without falling. It was a great morning since the morning dew kept the dust down and temperature was cool enough not to sweat so much my eyes burn. It was a good morning and our time riding up and down the trails was much faster than our first time. After our morning ride we made it back in time for quick showers and then off to lunch at Baldy’s Barbecue. I loved Baldy’s !

Great App. Cyclometer performs
well for the price. Not perfect but
very good app.

South Sister Mountain after the snowfall.

Sam and Nicole enjoying the great weather.

Sam waiting for me to arrive. I'm not nearly as fast as him.


Lake Waldo information.
































Quiet Lake Waldo














We now started our way back to Sam and Nicole’s house, but first Sam wanted to stop by Lake Waldo, one of the cleanest lakes in the world. It’s a beautiful area, so quiet and serene except for the occasional barking dog.

The remainder of the way home seemed to take forever, even with Sam’s driving. The distance is not that far but there isn’t a single straight road. All the roads wind and twist through the Cascade Mountains making the drive exhausting, even for the passengers. We arrived home safe, sound and tired.


Our travels around here so far have shown me that Oregon is a state with many contrasts from the rugged coast of New Port to the flat farming areas of Eugene to the mountains and high desert of Bend. I have to admit that I really liked the northern coast and the high desert area. I still would like to visit the North Eastern area of the state, maybe some time on a bicycle. Next week Karen and I plan on going down to California sight seeing. We’ll see how we like Northern California.

More of the Sister Mountains

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down