Beginning of the 2020 Cruising Season


1-1-20     I want to wish a Happy New Year to everyone. Since splashing Last Mango back on December 11 Karen and I have had our good days as well as bad. Karen quickly learned to embrace what the boating gods give and accept it. When it comes to matters like this I tend to be stubborn or stupid, you make the call. There are times that I have recognized that certain issues are out of my control and I roll with it. I’ll give you an example. Our trip west on the Caloosahatchee was going perfect, white cotton ball clouds dotted the otherwise bright blue skies and depending on the winding of the river the breeze cooled the 84 degree temperature. Mango passed through Franklin Lock without any delays and the bridge tenders lifted the bridges with cheerful wishes for Christmas. Mango quietly slipped through the water towards our last bridge of the day and the happy tender squawked on the radio to make way near the bridge and he’d be ready for Mango to pass under the raised spans. Karen had been making good use of the time underway prepping parts for the new dodger.


Birthday gift from S/V Fracas. Smooth!

At our current pace we’d make Fort Myers Yacht Basin earlier than anticipated. Mango slowed as we approached the bridge and I heard the warning bells alerting pedestrians as well and auto traffic on the bridge that it would soon open, gates had been lowered blocking all traffic. Then I watched in amazement as a dump truck sped through the gate and fortunately stopped before progressing over the bridge. I yelled to Karen what had happened and she stopped and watched, we both wondered what was going to happen next. I now had Mango stopped being in slow reverse gear. The bridge tender soon alerted us that the bridge cannot be raised with a damaged gate, he stated it would be at least 15 minutes for a repairman to arrive. In our hearts we knew 15 minutes was unrealistic for a repairman to show not to mention complete a repair not to mention this is the Florida and things move at a pace of their own. Karen moved Mango into a staging position as I prepared to drop anchor and wait it out.

Time passed and we watched boats with air drafts less than 25 feet pass under the bridge without issue. Karen was not too happy, she tried to enjoy the weather as we now ate a late lunch. We spent some time discussing on where to spend the night providing the bridge did or did not get raised. I was watching the various activities on the bridge from police to what we assumed to be various repairmen. Karen was starting to relax and a bit over 1.5 hours later the radio once again squawked asking us if we still wanted to pass. We stated “Yes” and were quickly informed we had 3 minutes to be pass. Karen started Mango’s motor while I raised the anchor, soon Mango sped under the raised spans.


Sundown as seen aboard M/V Just Us.

Waiting for the Wilson Pigott Bridge on a beautiful day.

We made way well but did loose a bit of help from a lowering tide due to our unexpected delay. Since we were moving we were happy knowing we’d make the Yacht basin before nightfall. Mango has traveled this route many times before and with little to do other that keep watch I found myself scanning the distant channel markers imagining I was already there. I was quickly brought out of my trance as well as Karen as a dolphin loudly breached the surface of the water near Mango’s cockpit. About an hour later Mango cruised into her slip assignment H4 and quickly tied up, had a drink and a shower. We have our slip for 30 days and plan on completing numerous boat chores as well as some sight seeing. 

Job #1 for me was replacing the raw water pump impeller. I feel bad saying this but I would need to hop in the “Way back machine” to see when it was last replaced, I will check the ships log. After disassembly it pains me to say that the impeller was hardly functioning, missing 3 of its 6 blades. Being the son of a mechanic I know better, my dad would probably kick my ass if he saw how I let this go. 

Last Mango in full disarray also known as
"Boat Puke"

Water cooler/jacket is where the last
piece of the impeller was found.

The Burroughs Home built in 1901 from a Sears Roebuck Kit

The Langford Kingston Home across the street is also a
Sears Roebuck kit home.






















Disassembly of the water pump revealed a total rebuild is necessary. I decided to just buy a new unit and rebuild the old unit at a later date and keep it as a spare. Since 3 impeller blades were missing I needed to find them in order to make sure they did not create blockages downstream in the cooling system. Luckily I found one piece in a cooling hose, another in the water jacket and the last piece jammed in the water pump itself. Upon further examination I decided to replace all the cooling hoses, Mango is 29 years old now, it’s time. 
While waiting to parts I started waxing Mango between rain storms. Waxing is like a workout, not my favorite task especially in high heat and humidity but you feel so good afterwards when you look at the shine and watch the water bead after a rain.

Hoses ordered and received and installed in 87 degree heat and tropical humidity over the coarse of 2 days. Sweaty hands and body made it difficult to grasp tools or hoses with much force and certainly trying my patience. After dropping the same screw 3 times in a row Karen asked me several times to leave it until tomorrow further pushing my patience and determination. Finally all hoses in place and now to flush the system and replace the coolant, tomorrow. Tomorrow came as expected and the flush was messy but went without a hitch. Cleanup took longer than the flushing, I can’t do too much without making a mess of myself and everything else.


With engine work complete I was now able to assist Karen with her dodger canvas rebuild which is far more difficult than my tasks. While Karen was able to proceed on her own I added a new autopilot control head and remote control. Garmin sent this to me last year due to issues with the previous remote they sent out, I had the parts sent to Illinois because of timing. Garmin assured me everything would work and I trusted their word. Install was going well only to later learn that the power / data cable is different between two control heads. Amazon order placed and received, unit installed.

Karen has been making good progress with the dodger and I now started on the installation of a new “Whale Tip Toe” pump for Mango’s drinking water. I have had the pump but need to cut I 3 inch hole in the floor. The problem comes with too little access to the area for a drill or hole saw. I consulted our boat neighbor (retired contractor) from Colorado for ideas to gain access. A day thinking about the issue and a trip to Home Depot, hole cut, pump installed and working great. Meanwhile Karen ran into a snag and placed an order to Sailrite to parts. Still waiting, but this is good since it gives Karen time to ponder a new design idea.

Christmas Day spent on Fort Myers Beach. Pina Colada at
"The Beach Bar" with friends.

Another of many gorgeous sunsets.
I don’t want you to think that Karen and I are all work and no play, even though we’ve been working hard. We’ve met several new cruising friends here in the marina and reacquainted with old friends. New Year's Eve came, Karen and I were able to watch a local cover band, “SmackDaddy” who puts on a fun show and plays music we both like. Much of the music in downtown Fort Myers consisted of DJ mixes that was more loud than good. The clock ticked to midnight aboard Mango and we were able to watch the ball drop across the street from the marina and fireworks across the river. I admit that the partier in me was tucked quietly into bed moments after the fireworks ended. I’ll get to know the new year better in the morning.

Morning came and Karen and I discussed that it’s hard to believe that 2020 is here, also hard to believe that we’ve been cruising roughly 6 months of the year since 2014. The young man in me can’t believe that I would be 56 years old and the 56 YO me can’t believe that the time in between passed so quickly. Most days I still feel like a young man then I sit down to read a book and require reading glasses.
M/V Wendy after taking on 3000 gallons of fuel. Can be yours
for a week for just under $47,000.

Comments

  1. Hi y'all! Guess I will have to live vicariously through your blog this season! So live it up for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoped we'd run into you and Marty along the way. I'm sure you're enjoying your time with the grandson. We'll try and have an extra one with you in mind..

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down