A Fort Myers Month


1-10-20   Sober January lasted only 10 days as it came crashing down on my body the following day. It all started off so innocently as Karen wanted to try a place called the Skybar which is an open air bar located atop a 5 story building in Fort Myers. The weather seemed to be cooperating and we mentioned that we were going there and our boat neighbors asked if we would mind their tagging along. They are a very interesting couple, Doug is from Colorado and Kayleen is from Guatemala. They apparently met down there when Doug was cruising and the rest is history. Doug spent 17 years cruising the Caribbean and Central America and since has sold his sailboat and currently living aboard a 45 foot Hatteras but misses the sailboat.
I have been cooking with the solar oven made by GoSun

My Baguette just out of the GoSun

They have been quite tasty. Still perfecting the recipe























Once the elevator delivered us to the rooftop there was a group of elderly people attempting to extricate themselves out of the low couches that the Skybar uses near the roof top ledge. We were fortunate to quickly grab the now empty seats. Doug recommended the “Pain Killer” and I accepted, Karen a Captain and Coke. I’ve never had a Pain Killer before but this one tasted like a dream. Soon a couple more disappeared down my throat and  we were off to find some live music. We ended up at a locals bar where the drinks were cheap and karaoke was starting up. We stayed long enough to hear it was time to leave and rounded the corner to the Barrel Room which had a Blues band starting up. Doug quickly wrangled a deal for our entrance before I even realized there was a cover. We grabbed a table and this is where things started to go bad for me. In hindsight I now recognize that I had a new drink in front of me even before my current drink was empty. The music sounded great or maybe it was my ears being under the influence, needless to say we had a great time listening to the band as well as people watching. My head was blurred by the many drinks I had but I knew it was time for me to leave and when Karen suggested it was late I was ready to go back to Mango. 

We exited the bar to find the streets filled with police and bar patrons roaming the street. We have no idea why there was such a large police presence but Karen assisted me back aboard Mango where I attempted to do some blogging. This attempt to get my thoughts on paper lasted about 2 sentences when I stumbled to bed and passed out. Passing out did not last long either as I started to feel sick and as Karen tells it went to the galley and stood by the sink waiting for the next step. Luckily the next step never occurred and I ended up sleeping on the galley floor. Sometime during the early morning hours I woke up sore and stiff from sleeping on the hardwood floors but no longer nauseated. Daylight arrived sooner than I thought it should’ve and with an upset stomach I leered at Karen and the rising sun. Needless to say I accomplished very little this day other than existing and eating, meanwhile Karen busily worked away at her dodger project which turned out very nice.

Tail Gator and mixes ready to go dockside
Fort Myers Yacht Basin

Evening came and we gathered with several other boaters on the dock to celebrate Karen’s completion of the new dodger. I made frozen margaritas and Pina Colada’s for everyone with the Tail Gator (Everyone just loves when I bring it out) but did not partake in the alcohol consumption. The evening was close to perfect as the hot sun dropped below the horizon and coolness made us forget about the hot and humid 87 degree day. Everyone slowly retired to their boats and we made our way back to Mango and finished watching the Packer’s Seahawks game. I had a great nights sleep.

1-14-20     Karen and I were very busy with projects aboard Mango while in Fort Myers and found it hard to believe that our month at the marina had passed so quickly. It’s a blessing because I have had itchy feet for the past week or more but a curse because you are leaving so many new friends. Karen and I have talked about it and she feels the same way. Upon leaving we say “Goodbye” but always plan on seeing them again and we usually do.


Karen captured dolphins splashing us in the cockpit of Mango. They played
hide and seek with her for better than 15 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down