Staying longer than we thought at the Beach


12-29-17     Many people state that they like to be alone and that’s all well and good. I can say that Karen and I agree on the fact that we like to be around people. I do like a little “Me Time” every once in a while but for the most part I’m a people person. Many people also say that they like to live life impulsively. I can say that is not Karen but it does describe me. Does this mean that Karen and I argue about this often?  Sometimes but not usually, I just let her plan our itinerary when she can and I’m fine with that. I would be the type of person to fly off somewhere and look for the hotel once I arrive. Karen on the other hand needs to know where her head is going to lay at night. 

My friend the Brown Pelican.

Snack time for my buddy




















We arrived in Fort Myers Beach on the 19th and after an overnight night planned to sail straight to Key West to have a surprise visit with Maury and Sandy from S/V Senior Moment. Weather did not cooperate so we stayed waiting for the perfect sailing window which never occurred and here we are on December 29th. I have to admit we could’ve taken off and reached Key West without issue but I always want Mango’s maiden voyage to be an easy sail to make sure all systems are operating properly with a minimum of motoring. These self imposed parameters don’t happen that often so here we remain moored in Fort Myers Beach, not a bad place to be stuck. Looks as though weather will have us laid up here another week with a series of cold fronts blasting through here possibly setting records. 

We had many foggy mornings

We had many more wonderful sunsets.




















I speak of this because it is one reason I love cruising. It, like the weather can be very unpredictable. Karen had no issues staying here because she knew it was the prudent thing to do and she loves the beach. Staying here did require a change in plans but allowed us to meet so many nice interesting people. Each day is another adventure making us wonder who we’ll meet today. Whether walking down the street, sitting in a bar watching football or riding the trolly around the Fort Myer area meeting wonderful people will help build anyones faith in humanity. We’ve met people from all over the states and everyone seems to have a positive outlook on life which is contagious. It also makes you realize how many people from the Chicago area moved down here.

A campsite at Fort Myer Beach is $750 a week.
You are near the beach but a far cry from what
I remember of camping

Some new found friends. Mary and Jan setup a
projector on their bow and invite cruisers to
come and watch movies from the dinghies.

































Yesterday Maury and Sandy stopped by to see us on their way back home from visiting family in Key West. It was great to see them as always even though I drank entirely too much Key West Ale at Bonita Bills waiting their arrival. Karen got talking to her new friend Mike, the retired football player and I half listened to their conversation while I people watched. Bonita Bills appears to be more of a local hangout that prides itself in the slogan “No shoes, no shirt can I get you a beer”.  I watched bikini clad girls just barely of drinking age order beer alongside what appeared to be 80 year old women. All the women, especially the older woman swayed to the music of a one man band playing oldies with his guitar and harp. When Maury and Sandy arrived we gave them hugs as they entered the bar then the crew of Senior Moment was required to give hugs to the other bar patrons. Maury and Karen’s friend Mike seemed to have a special rapport and bantered back and forth all evening.

Karen's wonderful Christmas ham,
No it's not Vegan.

Fort Myers Beach mid-afternooon
Christmas traffic

Florida Snowman

Bonita Bill's bar and grill






































Our time with the crew of Senior Moment ended with a Friday morning breakfast at Bonita Bill’s. The company of Maury and Sandy made up for lack-luster food. This is the first time I can say I wasn’t impressed with Bonita Bill’s food. Saying “Goodbye” to these two is always hard but good fortune seems to have a knack of bringing us together at least once a year. See you guys next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down