New Experiences in Eugene


12-29-16     Morning came with the sunlight shining through the window, this was a good sign because the last few times the weatherman had forecast nice weather I’ve woken to clouds and fog. I just said to Nicole that when I think Eugene Oregon in the winter it reminds me of Sherlock Holmes in foggy London. Today is different, it’s already warm and the sun shows no signs of abating. After a quick morning workout we were on out Spencer’s Bluff noting many cars and homes with their windows open since the temperature was in the mid 50’s.

My two Beautiful Girls.

Hannah surveys the view.

The Sister Mountains as seen from the top on Spencer's.
Spencer’s Bluff was gorgeous as we had a pretty good view of mountains to the Northeast. Karen, Hannah and I had a great hike up enjoying the sunshine peeking through the trees. Once we arrived on the higher portion of the bluff we got the full effects of the sun which was so nice and warm however the breeze was cool.


12-30-16     
It was another morning of fog and cool weather, we took our morning walk and shopped for groceries. We ate dinner and Nicole, her dad Chris and I went to the movies and watched Rogue One. I think we all enjoyed it however I think I expected a bit more.







12-31-16     New Year’s Eve came and we had little planned other than going up to Bend for a couple of days after Sam gets off work this evening. With nothing to do Karen and I decided it was time to try our edibles (Marijuana laced chocolate). We each had one “Gron” chocolate, each piece had 13.5mg’s of THC and the “Bud Tenders” said one piece would be fine for each of us. They did state that we could start with 1/2 since we were first timers if we’d like but we decided to go all in. Six hours later we were coming out of our haze and becoming more functional. I can only speak for myself but I did not like the care for the experience. I felt as though I was out of control even though I barely moved. I would watch the clock hoping that it would move faster, wishing to be done with the high. The football games we were watching seemed to last forever. I also felt as though I was unsteady while getting up to walk so I’m sure I was moving very slowly. I suppose this is why we think of “Potheads” being lazy and slow. The other thing I would say “I don’t know how anyone who uses marijuana could not put on weight”. As I was coming down off the high I wanted to eat almost anything in sight, especially crappy food. Karen’s experience was not all that different from mine although she stated there were times she couldn’t feel her extremities. Apparently she said I was telling a story but not making any sense. All these things being said I can say that I don’t feel any need to use marijuana again. I can mark the day down as $18 dollars not well spent.

Kinda close to my experience.
People in Eugene love their Green.





















Sam came home from work and laughed at us as we were still trying to get our heads back together. We quickly loaded everything (we packed the day before) in to the truck and we were off to Bend.


Snowy drive back from Bend.

1-1-17     We woke up in slightly snowy Bend hungry and went to breakfast. Shortly afterwards we were on our way up to Mount Bachelor. The closer we got the colder and snowier it became, looks like we’ll have a great day to snowboard.

We got dressed in our gear, procured our lift tickets and were moving up the lift. I was hoping for lots of snow and that’s what we got. I’ve never skied or snowboarded in so much powder, it was great even though it was more difficult to snowboard. Needless to say all of us, other than Sam got stuck at times deep in snow. As I said we had great snow, the bad part came when the resort could not open the top of the mountain due to safety precautions. Once I got halfway up I understood why. The conditions were blizzard like with very little visibility and every once in a while they’d slow the lift down due to the high winds. Truly amazing how a bit of elevation can change the weather. By an hour before closing my right leg was screaming at me to stop and rest. I listened to my leg or legs and called it a day as Hannah and Sam made one more trip up and down the mountain. Before I knew it we were back at the hotel eating chili getting ready to try a few breweries. We visited two and were back at the hotel early, I think we were all a bit wiped out and ready for bed. I really need a good nights sleep.

Hannah is King of the mountain.
Karen making her way to the North side of the Butte.

1-2-16     After the nights sleep my legs were still a bit spent but breakfast seemed to help them out. I think we were all moving slower than normal. Sam and Nicole wanted to give Hannah a tour of Bend so that’s what we did. To cap things off we ate lunch at Bangers and Brews, it was great. We all highly recommend it, you can find them on Facebook.


The trip home was slow due to the continuing snow and people pulling over to put chains on their tires. The scenery at times was fantastic as the skies at times cleared and the sun would break, we would get occasional glimpses at the summits bright with the sun. We arrived home 3.5 hours later happy to stretch our legs and happy to be home.

1-3-16     Packing day is here. Karen and I are prepping to hop the train tomorrow down to Sacramento and then through Yosemite National Park.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down