Been a long time. It's almost time to head south again

It’s really been a long time since I posted. I feel that the days have been flying off the calendar in a stiff winter breeze but that’s the way it goes when I don’t make the effort to sit down and put thoughts down with paper and pen (computer and keyboard). Shame on me I know.

Time just flies by when you're having fun
For what it’s worth I’ve been busy with a great part-time job and dis-mantling my personal email server. I never realized how much trouble I can find myself in using one of these things. Thanks to “The Donald” and “Hillary” I’ve learned my lesson, I apologize.


Seriously though, Karen and I have been a busy. This summer I’m working and Karen’s picking up a few hours each week with the local school system. We traveled out to Eugene Oregon to attend Sam’s graduation from the Oregon State Police Academy, did a bit of hiking and sightseeing along the way. 



We're so proud of Sam.


We were fortunate enough to be able to travel to the great land up north and spend a few days with the crew of Fracas and their family. We greatly enjoyed our time with Greg, Marylynn and family. Little Current Ontario is a beautiful area and I would like to spend a bit more time up there sometime. We hope to see Fracas and crew this winter sailing in warmer waters down south.

Greg and Mary Lynn took us on a great tour. We both enjoyed our
North Channel Tour.

Karen and Mary Lynn posing for a beautiful picture.















We have been bicycling a lot over the summer but Karen hit a bit of a road block when she and another cyclist touched handlebars while passing each other. Karen got the worst of the altercation with a broken elbow. Don’t worry I took good care of her and only made her clean the house every other day and allowed her to keep dishes in the sink overnight instead of washing them immediately. She’s back in fighting shape now or at least close. Last weekend we took a bicycle ride up to New Glares State Park in Wisconsin and camped out for the night. All weatherman we consulted for the trip were of course wrong. Instead of 70’s and sunny we had 50’s and overcast / misting. It really didn’t matter as no rain fell on us until we got home. Next July will be our 30th wedding anniversary and we’d always planned on a fancy ass cruise through the Panama Canal. However, Karen thought we could go bicycling down the West coast of the US since we’re in fairly decent shape and we can cruise to canal when we’re old.

Wind Mill in Fulton Il. They do mill many different flour's when
wind permits.

Still waiting for bridges and Barges even when on bicycles

Quad City River Bandits game in the sweltering heat. Great time

Memorial at the Rock Island National Military Cemetery
Rock Island IL


My Mom and Dad are holding their own even though dad’s L hip should be replaced but he’s very hesitant because of the issues that arose during his R hip replacement last summer. Currently he’s trying some hip injections at a pain clinic in Hoffman Estates which has given him some relief but we’ll see how long it lasts. Mom is chugging along still smoking like a chimney and keeping dad on his toes more than ever. Over 61 years married and I think mom may be giving a little payback to Dad thanks to her Dementia issues.

I’ve blogged about it before, watching our parents and other loved ones in our life age is a real learning experience if you pay attention. I will admit that I never noticed or maybe just didn’t pay attention until I retired and had a bit more time to watch, learn and think. It needs to be stated again and again to never stop moving and learning. The Dementia or Alzheimers acts a bit like a truth serum for my mother as she talks about things that she’s never talked about in my entire life. Dad’s sharp as a tack but even he opens up every once in a while. Mom’s memory from her childhood is pretty good and dad can backup some of her stories. We’ve learned more and more about how the two of them met and the many things that happened back in their day. Hard to believe my mom or dad were ever rebels. 

Not so typical of bicycle paths in Northern Illinois
Typical view of bicycle paths in southern Wisconsin 
On a very good note, Last Mango came through Hurricane Mathew without issue per the boatyard. According to the boat yard she is dry inside and out with no mold. They stated that they received no rain from Mathew and very little wind. We feel for those people that didn’t have our good fortune. We are really looking forward to getting back down on Mango this January especially when the temperature up here starts to fall. Today’s been a great day with temps in the upper 70’s but just the other night we had heavy frost. Karen and I will spend the month of December out in Oregon with Sam and Nicole. Hannah will fly out for Christmas and our family will all be together for first time in years. This will be a great time and we’re eagerly looking forward to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down