Summer Storage and Heading Back to Illinois

4-9-17     Today we left Sunset Bay Marina and traveled a whole 9 miles west on the St. Lucie Canal to the St. Lucie Lock Campground and Marina. Needless to say Karen and I had no need to get an early start. We will miss the marina and Stuart Florida, as we have good memories and look forward to returning someday. Stuart has easy access to hardware, marine and grocery stores, it also has a great little downtown area with lots of restaurants. 


Our trip down the canal went well with me, of course trying to sail Mango as much as possible, which today was very little due to narrow channels and high trees. We did putter along nicely getting the assistance of a rising tide. We arrived at the St. Lucie Lock timing it perfectly with the lock master. Mango motored into the open lock and within 15 minutes Mango was raised 13 feet and motored out. The Army Corps marina is 100 yards away from the lock so we did a drive by of the 6 slips of the marina to see which slip would suit us best. We chose #5 because it had a rear bollard to make tying off easier. The slips are very short and the front shoreline is lined with large rocks. We had the assistance of 2 other boaters when we slid into our slip. Karen had Mango stop well short of the rocks and our new neighbors stated it was probably a good thing because their boats were both sitting on the bottom. Lake Okeechobee water levels are very low due to a drought and you can see it when looking at the shoreline. The drought is currently responsible for wildfires all over southern Florida.

St. Lucie Lock resident Tortise.
View of the campground from our slip.





















Once we finished placing all the dock lines we got to know our new neighbors, I now call them friends. Interestingly enough, 2 of the boaters are from the Chicago area but now live in Michigan and Florida. Evening set in and all of the boaters came up to the pavilion and brought a drink and snacks and got to know each other. They commented that boaters are a special group because we did not see any campers come out to meet up with other campers, it’s really too bad. Donna off of M/V Tika told me where to go to see tortoises, chameleons and other wildlife. While chatting we all watched 3 young kids fishing tease a large gator with their fishing poles. They casted the lures past the gator and dragged them over the gator while the gator appeared to try and snatch the lures. Someone yelled at the kids and they stopped the teasing. They stated that not too long ago several gators need to be removed because they became accustom to people on shore, Jack said people were feeding them which is a huge problem. Karen and I watched the large gator slowly pass Mango’s stern heading west. It just slowly slid by but Donna said they can be very fast when they want to and recounted seeing another one snatch a mullet that jumped out of the water with its mouth.


Clewiston claims to be the sweetest town
but the new Police Chief is a jerk.

Late night neighbor and noise maker.
Scared the hell out of Karen.





















4-12-17     Karen actually set the alarm this morning to get a quick start to Clewiston Florida from the St. Lucie Lock. Karen’s been dreading this part of the trip ever since she heard about the Lake Okeechobee water levels being so low, on top of that she’s read about people hitting bottom while crossing on windier days. We said our goodbyes to new friends and backed out of our slip with not a breeze in the air, I did notice some large vessel attempting to enter the lock heading our way. We have roughly 20 miles to motor through the waterway before making it to the Okeechobee. I set the motor speed to keep us at 5 knots and constantly watching for the large vessel of some type that I felt sure was behind us. The day progressed well Karen and I spotting Bald Eagles, Gators and animals of all types. Looking back behind Mango I could see the large vessel gaining on Mango. Karen looked through the binoculars and said she thought it resembled a paddlewheel riverboat. With my naked eye all I could tell is that it appeared to be big, almost taking the whole width of the canal. Not wanting Mango to be squeezed up onto the banks of the canal in a passing situation I thought I needed to speed Mango along. Now there was a light rain and I went on deck and deployed the whisker pole and jib, the wind had been increasing and I thought Mango would be able to pickup a knot or so. With the jib poled out Mango picked up 1/2 to 1 knot which it promptly gave back to the wind collapsing. Karen suggested I throw out the fishing pole, in many times previously any attempts at fishing brought out stronger winds. Several times Karen and I would deploy the jib just to furl it minutes later. Less than an hour later we received a call on the VHF from Georgia Queen asking permission to pass on our starboard side if he gets close enough. I agreed and told him I’m sure he’d have no issues catching us. I guess that’s all I needed to say because from then on the wind was enough to move us along at 6 knots or more much of the time. We made it through the Port Mayaca Lock with room to spare between Mango and Georgia Queen. The lock master watched as Mango slipped through the lock and saw we were from the Chicago area, he called and informed us that he was from Utica Illinois and thought we were both happier being in warm Florida. Even though it was now raining I’m sure he’s correct.

One of many sites along the channel.

Poled out Genoa moving along at 5.5 knots
down the canal.





















Once exiting the Mayaca Lock we shut down the motor and set the pole and jib for our new heading. Georgia Queen promptly passed us as we said goodbye to her. Winds exiting the lock area were lighter but we were still moving along at 5 knots or so. Karen kinda gave me the evil eye anytime Mango’s speed dipped below 5. I assumed after getting a mile or two away from shore the wind would pickup and it did. We saw winds of between 12 and 25 which made Mango’s speed increase to a max of 7 knots. Karen was happy with the results and so was I. We sailed Mango all the way across the lake except for a short shallow dog leg where I started the motor in case of any wind or sail issues. The remainder of the trip was great, now we were sailing on a broad reach and this took us all the way into Clewiston. In fact we could’ve sailed all the to the dock had I known there was no boat traffic. Karen and I both agreed that it was very cool sailing along through the sea of weeds with no motor running. We were certainly able to sneak up on the gators without the noise of the motor. It just seemed like a very nice end to a very nice sail. To top it off upon arriving at the dock the sun started to show so Karen and I each had a beer and something to eat. After both eating and the beer Karen felt it was important to keep moving, she’s right because I felt a good nap coming on. She took me on a walk-a-bout to Walmart, 5.8 miles, my dogs were barking after that. We made it back to Mango in time for popcorn and a movie. Great Day !

Typical Florida

4-13-17     Last night was such a quiet night for Mango, She laid at dock with no current, no tide so very little movement if any. There was very little wind, the lights of the boat launch were the only thing that disturbed the nights quietness. It was shortly after 12:30 AM when there was a loud guttural squeal and both Karen and I clearing our eyes and wake looking for the source of the offending noise. Karen loudly said “It’s on top of us! It’s on the hatch.” I tried to focus my eyes again and saw nothing. I then looked out of the port side window (my side of the bed) and was looking face to face with a Great Blue Heron. I quickly sprung out of bed and told Karen I needed a picture of this. In my fumbling to find my phone or camera the heron moved across the dock and was now hunting for whatever they hunt for, still got a picture.

Typical Florida. Yes we need all the prayers we can get.
The rest of the night was uneventful, morning came and Karen had a taste for breakfast so we did a quick workout and rode our bikes to “Common Grounds” a nice little cafe in town however we decided on lunch. We took a little tour of the town on the bikes and thought we’d come back somewhere later for dinner. Fate had other plans when we arrived back at Mango. While doing some boat chores Karen overheard a man at the boat launch say “They haven’t got the memo”. Karen said they were talking about us being tied to the dock. I stepped off the dock and asked the man who happened to be a mechanic at the local boat repair place. He would back a boat down the ramp, leave his truck and trailer at the ramp in the water and go for a ride in the boat to test the motor, I assume. The man stated that the town gives tickets for staying at the dock and we can expect one soon. I informed him that we have documentation that states “Local law enforcement has been contacted and has no issues with boats tying to the dock”. According to Karen he made a smart ass comment and pulled away. We’ve stayed here before and we have always looked for any signs saying anything contrary, there is nothing posted. An hour or two later a police car pulls up and asks us about our situation. She stated the police chief was called by Raymond Martin (Roland Martin’s brother) who owns the local marina. She says that we need to talk with him about staying here. Karen and I are perplexed why we’d need to talk with him about a town dock, but no problem. I rode my bike to the marina and asked for Raymond, staff stated he’s never here. I said I was asked by PD to come and talk with him, they took me to an office where the officer was talking with what I assume is the marina manager. The manager and I talk while the officer makes a phone call. I explain to the manager where we’re docked and she says they have no issues with it at all, “It’s not our property” she says. She agrees to go outside and inform the officer. When the officer hangs up the phone she says “I just spoke with the chief and he says you need to leave” She informs me that she doesn’t know why but it’s the chief’s decision. She said that the chief says there should be signs stating such but there gone. I tell her no problem but we’re planning on leaving late in the evening because we’re going to eat dinner in town.

Slight delay before hauling out Mango.
Rat Snake, they can be a bit ill tempered.

Great Mexican joint in Moore Haven.

Mango somewhat stripped ready for
haul out. 




















I’m kinda pissed off because I have documentation from Active Captain that goes back to 2012 with people giving reviews of their stay at the dock. It’s 3:00 pm, I call PD, ask for the chief to see if we can leave at first light. I’m told he’s left for the day, I leave a voicemail with no callback. Karen calls on her phone with the same results. It’s 5:00 PM Karen and I just returned to Mango and loaded the bikes when two police cars roll up and the officers apologize but tell us that the chief says we need to go, now. I’m not sure who we pissed off, I assume Raymond Martin. It’s the last time I’ll ever buy a drink at his Marina Tiki Bar, the last time I’ll ever spend any money in   Clewiston Florida. It’s too bad because it appears be have some semblance of old Florida, maybe too much when someone can make a phone call and have PD push people out of the community. Needless to say Karen and I moved about 100 yards north on the channel and tied off to dolphins (piling) used by barges.

4-14-17     The night was quiet as the wind calmed and it was pre-dawn when the birds started their chatter. We did not realize that the pilings we were tied to had several birds nests located high above where Mango tied off. Several boats passed Mango as I was still in bed trying to wake. It was not long after I was up that Karen and I untangled our web of lines and cast off to Moore Haven only 12 miles away.

The trip to Moore Haven was cool and uneventful as Karen and I watched the myriad of gators trying to sun themselves in the party cloudy skies. Mango appeared to be a spectacle as the gators watched us only occasionally moving away as we passed by. Soon we passed through the Moore Haven lock only to be delayed by a train passing over a closed bridge. The train passed and the bridge swung open and we rounded the curve to find a completely empty town dock. We glided slowly next to the face dock and Karen stepped off and secured Mango’s mid, I took the stern. We read reviews saying the dock was old and tattered but we found the dock in good repair.

Mango at her summer home

The nice thing about staying at Carol and Al's.
Today we have the pool to ourselves.
















We settled in, did a few boat chores, cleaned up and went for a walk. I said earlier the dock was in good repair unfortunately the town and area appears very depressed. The area is one closed business after another, very sad. We read of a Mexican restaurant nearby that got great reviews and found it, Antojito’s. It’s closed on the weekends so we thought we’d eat lunch here today. Antojito’s is clean and the food was wonderful, you can buy just about anything here from food, toys, Mexican candy to bus tickets around the country and to various locations in Mexico. Afterwards with full stomachs we waddled home and both of us took naps. Sometime during the day we got a boat neighbor, the motor yacht Seven Tenth’s.

Night time came quickly and even with naps earlier we both went to bed shortly after 10 PM. The nights here are quiet except for the sound of cars and truck on the highway 27 bridge crossing the channel.

Karen enjoying a Bellini at Epcot.
4-15-17     Morning brought bright sunny skies and a strong warm breeze, I went under a large shade tree and exercised to T-25. Afterwards Karen made eggs and sausage and we got started prepping Mango to summer storage, Karen down below and me up top. We both accomplished more than anticipated so we may a day or two of leisure ahead of us.

A windy afternoon came and helped take the heat of the day away, it was really nice. While working we noted several large boats moving by heading towards Lake Okeechobee. Karen had completed her work below and I was just finishing mine when a sailboat came in to dock right behind Mango. Henry from Seven Tenth’s and I assisted the boat coming into the dock since it appeared he was single handing and the wind was really blowing him from behind. The big barreled bellied man got off the floating hulk and proceeded to tell us of a grounded boat about a mile away. He stated his transmission is acting up because he tried with no luck to pull the 50 foot powerboat off the shoal area. As the evening progressed and a few more boats came and docked along side of us. 

4-16-17     It’s morning and we’re spending Easter in Moore Haven, at least we’re doing the best we can. As I said previously its kind of a sad little town from an economic standpoint, shuttered buildings and dilapidated structures galore. There is nothing open in town today which I think is a good thing since it is Easter. Karen and I are trying to finish up all of our food and leftovers so we can power down the fridge/freezer to clean it before Mango’s put up for the summer. Again today Karen and I have completed several more boat chores which will make it even easier store Mango. We’ve met several boaters who stopped by the docks for the night, having a drink and sharing appetizers. Most boaters are such good and friendly people.

4-17-17     Getting to be a bit like groundhog day around here at the Moore Haven dock, each day is like the previous one. I have itchy feet and I’m sure Karen does also. Almost all of our chores are done and we don’t get hauled out until the 19th. Karen’s got all of the storage locations emptied and the fridge has little more than ice and a few cold drinks.

This is a hard time on any boat putting things away for summer or winter storage, the hardest part is finding places to store everything. Karen and I have been tripping over everything from the dinghy on the rear bunk to the sails standing by the Nav. station to the bicycle in the salon. It’s’ also a sad time since it seems like we just started our adventure down here but I guess it’s been over 4 months. This year especially is a joyful time to put Mango away since we’re going back North for the summer but also to attend Hannah’s graduation from the University of Iowa school of Nursing. It’s a great day for Hannah, of course Karen and I are proud as heck. On top of all of this kid number one, Sam is coming back for the graduation along with fiancé Nicole. It should be a great time I just hope my liver can handle the “Graduation Burden”.

Flower and Garden Days at Epcot.

Beautiful Flowers everywhere.



















4-27-17     The past week has just flown by for some reason. Karen and I did get to spend an evening with Pat and Tim from the M/V Bodacious. We spent quite a bit of time with Tim and Pat last year in Marathon. Since we last spent time with them they purchased a new M/V and had it shipped from the East coast to Ensenada Mexico where Tim boarded it and motored back to their home port of San Diego. Just so everyone knows Bodacious is for sale, she’s big and fits her name well. Tim and Pat are taking her up to the Boston area where they think she’ll have a better chance of selling. Pat and Tim treated us to a wonderful dinner the other night aboard her and I can tell you she’s a big boat for her size. Bodacious is a few years old but well taken care of and anyone would be lucky to own her. 

After our visit with Bodacious Karen and I traveled to Disney for a couple of days and speaking for myself I’ve got my Disney fill for a couple of years. We had a great time but after a day or two I fell like I’m on crowd and young child overload. Maybe I’m getting old, I’m just speaking for myself. I did enjoy watching the excitement in the kids faces as they got to see the characters in the shows of the terror in their faces whenever the Storm Troopers strolled past. Karen and I both laughed at all the liquor that now sold at the parks, we now understand why it’s the “Happiest Place On Earth”.

Saturday we leave for our long drive back to the Chicago area with Carol and Al onboard. Hopefully the Atlanta highway closures won’t create too much of an issue, everything we read says there will be no problems. Today the cars getting its 30,000 mile service and wash. We all hope for an uneventful trip, fingers crossed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down