A day in our life

Well, the days and weeks are flying by (at times) out here with my parents in Savanna. The motorhome has quickly become home thanks to Karen’s hard work. Dad’s new hip is being installed the beginning of June. Karen and I are preparing for the event and Mom is of course worried and denying that Dad needs a hip replacement. The garden is fully planted and all plants are healthy looking. Dad’s still mowing the property without fail when it is not raining. Karen will soon learn the finer points of mowing with a Woods mower and Ford tractor. She’s really looking forward to being out on the tractor to get her suntan back. 
Soon Karen will be on the Ford mowing.


I’m not exaggerating, the time is going by quickly as we’ve been busy. We’ve acquired a place to live come September provided my parents are doing well enough to be on their own. Karen and I have been making trips back and forth to the Elgin area for retirements, dental appointments and to visit family and friends. I’ve told Karen that it’s got to stop, the only reason for this is because we eat out all the time. I’m still enjoying driving the Prius, so far it’s a great car with an average milage of 54 MPG.
We couldn't get too far from the Mississippi. Here's the
sign at Blandings Landing outside of Hanover Illinois.

Rural living takes a little getting used to since it’s been about 30 years since I’ve lived without nearby shopping and neighbors. Karen reminded me that I used to go out and take clothes off the line in my underwear when I lived in Hampshire.  I need to plan my trips better and learn to make lists as it’s about 20 miles to do any real shopping (Home Depot, Jewel, Farm and Fleet). Karen and I are trying the get to know the community by walking a lot, bicycling and attending baseball games and community events. My parents doctor invited us to watch his son play baseball the other night at the local park and we have a Firemen’s Party and Dance coming the end of June. So far the people have been very nice with everyone waving as we pass by. We did get some strange looks at the baseball park from the locals but they soon learned we weren't child molesters. One herd of cattle is still afraid of Karen and they stampede every time we stroll by no matter how hard Karen tries to be the cow whisperer. We’ve made friends (kinda) with the local Rottweiler who storms to the road when we walk by the hair on his back raised and growling. Now he just barks and sniffs us a we pass by.

Karen the cow whisperer's friends. #68 and #122

Sometimes I think they want to eat her instead of the
other way around.

Savanna Family Fun Days with lots of animals.

Karen and I living with my parents has been a lot of things and most especially a learning experience. I’m starting to think that everyone should live with their parents while the parents are in their later years. The reason I say this is because as much as we don’t like to admit it we are our parents. Good and bad we’re made of their DNA and have learned our behaviors from the years spent with them. Maybe it’s just me but I recognize behavior in both my father and mother that I don’t want to replicate down the road and some good behavior that is worth holding on to and passing to the next generation. I have kind of a funny story that happened the other day. Since Karen and I have been here living with them they have been eating like kings. I had just got done cooking ribs and chicken out on the grill while Karen was making the side dishes in the kitchen. It was hot outside and the humidity was very high, I just brought the meat inside and I decided to take off my shirt to eat dinner. Karen made a smart ass comment about my dress and my mom piped up and told her I had a very nice chest. Then my dad stated that Karen was just getting too horny seeing me eating BBQ ribs and chicken bare chested, mom said they remember what it was like to be young and viral. I thought it was funny and I think Karen did also. 

Two days before Dad's surgery and I thought we
should take the tree down before it comes down on
its own.

Dad's still doing what he can but he'll be feeling it later.
You can't see it here but Karen's loading and cutting also.




































This is Karen's real friend.

















Over the past week I’ve been running Dad through his physical therapy workout twice daily per the pre-sugary instructions. I perform the exercises with him each time and they are of course very easy for me but I watch as he struggles to complete each series of moves. He does them and doesn’t really complain but says it’s only the pain that’s hampering the exercises not his physical limitations. I guess that’s good news. We have 4 more exercising sessions to go before surgery day. I will be spending the night with dad in the hospital as Karen will take care of mom for those days. I really married a good woman!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down