Back to Illinois

First let me say to everyone that has been following our travels that I’m sorry for the long delay posting to the blog. I’ve told myself to continue because it helps my memory and I think its good for my well being. That being said here’s what has been going on the past several weeks.


Karen and I left Last Mango in Harbortown Marina in Fort Pierce Florida with all of our possessions packed into a Chrysler Town and Country minivan. We stopped and spent a few days with Karen’s parents and then headed north to Illinois for my great nieces first birthday. We got to see her take care of business when it came to her smash cake. I guess I lead a sheltered life because I’ve never heard of a smash cake until now. It was a great time to return home since we also got to see other family that we hadn’t seen in quite some time. 

Last Mango hauled being taken to her summer home.
One of the main reasons to come back to Illinois was to assist my parents since they are getting older and slower (aren’t we all) but my father is blind and my mothers memory issues have been getting worse over last year. Many people say its hell to get old and I never really realized it until seeing my parents progress over the past year or two. For me it’s really hard to believe that my father has slowed down as much as he has since we left sailing. My mother has also slowed and is really struggling with her memory. So as it turns out it’s a great thing to be back to spend time with them. We’re currently staying in their motorhome which is right outside the house in the driveway and cleaning the house and yard during the day. My parents live in a very rural area and have a little over 6 acres to tend to. My father does a great job but it’s getting hard on him. My father who’s a manly man actually told me that he’s glad that Karen and I are here in Illinois living and spending time with them. I think it may have been hard for him to say it but I know it was very sincere.

Another great reason to come back was that my parents 60th anniversary was on May 18th and my sister and Karen prepared an anniversary party. In a Tykol tradition there was a day of great food, beer and good times. I got to see pictures of my much younger parents that I’ve never ever have seen. The rain stopped long enough for a nighttime fire and smores. Everyone spent the night in close quarters and awoke the next morning to more food. This was also the first chance we had to spend time with Hannah.  We also met her new boyfriend Jared. He is a nice young man.  Karen and I have vowed to start exercising again otherwise we’ll be packing on the pounds.

My sister and her Grandchild Layne along with my Mom

My Mom and Dad

My Mom feeding Dad who knows what?

Taking a break from the B-Day party.
Lovin the smash cake


Really lovin the smash cake.





































































As I mentioned earlier my dad has slowed quite a bit in the last year and we finally persuaded him to go see the doctor about his aches and pains. It really didn’t take much after living with him for a couple of weeks. Karen and I have both noticed that his gait has changed and we both thought he may need a new right hip. The doctor ordered an X-Ray and sure enough, bone on bone. No cartilage left in the right hip. We’re currently waiting for a pre op physical Thursday to make sure he’s healthy enough for the surgery (shouldn’t be an issue). I think my dad’s relieved and exited that he may finally be able to live without the constant pain. 

After 60 years married my Mom gets a Medal and
Dad gets a Ribbon.
Meanwhile Karen and I purchased a Toyota Prius and so far I couldn’t be happier. We had several days of car shopping, driving and research and liked the way the Subaru Impreza drove but with several friends having great experiences with the Prius and it costing considerably less we went Toyota.

Karen happy and driving off the lot.


We drove the scenic route out to spend Karen’s birthday weekend with Hannah in Iowa City and averaged 59.1 mpg with me driving like a baby all the way, VERY COOL! As always it was great to see Hannah and spend time in a college town. Karen kept it tame and we could only get her to take one tequila shot.

Karen and I left my parents and went for a bike ride.
We can't seem to get away from the Mississippi.


After my fathers hip replacement and getting them settled it looks as though we have a place of our own in West Dundee and then plan on being back down on Last Mango after christmas. That’s the plan for now, as each day goes by we miss being aboard her and as we all know balance is everything. We just need to find the balance that works for us.

Enjoy!

John & Karen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down