Boot Key Harbor and Trying to Leave


2-22    I know it’s been a while since I blogged and I feel kinda bad but the time slips away to oblivion. I mean I can hardly believe we’ve been in Marathon Florida for almost 3 weeks. I will miss the place and many of its oddities but my feet have been itching to leave for a week or two. I have a new appreciation for those who come down here and spend the winter, I mean that’s not for me but I do understand how it can happen.

The Great Old Broad is from Chicago and he speaks
of leaving for the Bahamas but I don't think he ever will.
Each day of the week there’s many things to do if you’re interested, softball on Sunday and Tuesday, Yoga on two days of the week, learn how to basket weave, story telling and other things that I forget to mention. It reminds me of a nursing home where the residents live in their own floating homes. The core group or community here really looks out for each other and if you have a problem or need assistance many will come to your assistance. For the most part everyone gets along and just like anywhere some people abuse the system.

Karen and I were speaking to a local business person and they explained the term “Keys Disease”. This term is used to describe those who came down here and lose themselves in drugs and alcohol. She told us of the standard new employee job prognosis. Day #1 does the employee drive on time? Day #2 does the employee arrive on time and are they sober? Day #3 does the employee show up at all? This seems hard to believe but I have no reason to not believe her. She said that there’s been many times she’s had to send employees home at 10 AM because they’re intoxicated. Crazy!

Rotary Giant Junk, I mean Flea Market

Cold day at the Dolphin Research Center






















We also went to the Dolphin Research Center with Fracas. Miller a great friend from Kenosha let us know about it otherwise we would've missed it. They have many dolphins and a few seals and sea lions. Some of the dolphins were rescued from the BP Oil spill others came from locations that could no longer keep them for various reasons. Unfortunately it was a cold day for south Florida. I don’t think it was even 60 when we were there and the winds were howling.

Notice everyone wearing coats

At least the water was warm

One of the pictures I did get when they were performing

Karen's new friend. Karen didn't realize he was lurking in the
bush next to her until I showed her.


Yesterday the crew of Fracas was kind enough to take us with them to the Islamarada Giant Marine Flea Market. It is pretty large and the entrance fee goes to help send kids to college. It was a typical flea / junk market as far as I was concerned but it brings people out from all over which in turn creates traffic jams since there’s only one road that runs down the Keys 


and when it gets stopped up everything from Key west to lower Miami slows down. Fortunately we had Greg from Fracas navigating the terrain and traffic. The Nissan Versa only ended up with small abrasions and punctures. On the other hand I don’t think Karen will complain about my driving after this experience.

































Later that evening Fracas crew joined Karen and I at Dockside Tropical Cafe for a few drinks, appetizers and the music of Eric Stone. We’ve seen Eric before and are fans of his music and we weren't disappointed. I can relate many of his song lyrics to everyday life and certainly the cruising life. 

Today we spent much of the day prepping Last Mango to move again. Filled the water tanks, put assorted items away and lashed down others so that they don’t travel overboard in open seas. Karen did much the same down below. The current plan is to listen to Chris Parker weather at 6:30 AM tomorrow and leaving shortly after that unless he says otherwise. Looks like it may be a motor-sail, hopefully more sailing than motoring but we’ll see.

Sunset anchored off Rodriquez Key

Beautiful calm night.








2-23   Off we are this morning motoring it is as there is a 8 to 10 knots wind but mostly on the nose. The staysail seems to help a bit but nothing is helping the lumpy seas. It was a long monotonous day of listening to Sirius radio while the motor hummed away while dodging crab pots. We arrived at our destination (Rodriquez Key) and dropped anchor by 16:30. Karen made dinner and we set alarms for 2:00 in the morning. We’re thinking that this will give us 13 hours to make it to Bimini with day light to see shallows. I’m sure things will go well but it looks like not much wind. We’ll see. More tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down