Empire Builder to Oregon


9/21 Today Karen and I left on our grand train trip to Eugene Oregon with much trepidation. We’ve heard a couple stories that sounded like Amtrak would be up our alley. We’ve heard many more horror stories about long distance train trips. The trip started with a good friend Gary taking us to the Metra station, there we hopped on a local train and made our way to Union Station in Chicago to board Amtrak’s “Empire Builder” line to Portland and Seattle. The check in was seamless and a breeze compared to airports and flying. We were given a brief finger tour of the Amtrak lounge which has free soft drinks and snacks. The lounge was very crowded but soon started emptying as trains and passengers were departing for Texas and California. Karen and I settled back on a two person couch and started surfing the net via complimentary wifi access. We met several of our lounge neighbors through conversation which is always interesting and makes the time pass more quickly. Shortly thereafter a page came across the lounge speaker announcing the boarding of our train. Within minutes we were sitting in our car #2730 in room #8 (top floor, last car on the train). It seemed only a short time later we were departing the station. 

Karen and I adjusted quickly to the sway of the train and found ourselves making dinner reservations as we passed though Glenview. Karen had taken a quick tour of the train earlier and I was itching to see more so there was a stop in Milwaukee to pickup more passengers and allow the smokers to depart for a quick smoke break. I took the opportunity to survey the life outside of our room and I wanted a newspaper which I meant to pickup before we left. The people we friendly and I found myself talking to some disgruntled Bears fans who attended yesterdays beating by Arizona, they really needed their smokes. Unfortunately the stop had no news stand so I guess I’m without a paper for the day. It appears that most people are either typing, sleeping of watching movies on their computers. Before I knew it I was getting ready for dinner. Karen and I are loving it so far, my only complaint at this point is the temperature. Amtrak must have the same thermostats as every hospital I’ve ever been in lately because it seems cool. 

Ours was the last car in the train. This is the view right
 out of our room.




The countryside by train. Fall colors of Minnesota and North Dakota















Dinner reservations were made for 5 pm and we arrived shortly before hand and were seated with another couple from the Vancouver area. They happened to be in the room next to us. We had pleasant conversation as they were returning to their home after and reunion with his military buddies in New Orleans. Karen and I both thought the dinner was good, not great and our dining companions Gary and Cindy agreed. Gary and I had the steak and Karen and Cindy had the grilled Salmon. All meals are included in the train trip when you book a sleeper car or roomette. Still enjoying it.

Dinner came and went, the sun was setting as we crossed the Mississippi River in LaCrosse. Karen and I were changing in to more comfortable clothes watching the half moon flash through the trees as we passed by the countryside. Our train assistant came by and asked if we wanted him to turn down our beds and we declined, we had already moved things around and were familiar with the process. Karen was the first one sleeping, I only knew it because I could hear her snore every once in while. I fell asleep listening the to occasional creak of the train and an old time radio podcast. I can’t say I slept well but it wasn’t too bad. Like sleeping anywhere new for the first time.

First signs of oil in North Dakota

Housing for the oil workers of North Dakota














We awoke at 7:30 and decided to try and eat breakfast early as breakfast seating is first come first serve. We sat with an older couple from Troy Ohio who appear to have traveled the country by train and love it. We had a varying array of food from eggs to omelets to french toast. All food was good but not great. While finishing breakfast we had a half hour or so stop in Minot North Dakota where I was able to pickup a news paper and take a short walk. 

While the train departed Minot Karen showered and then I followed. The scenery was beautiful with the rolling hills, small wetlands spotted with the colors of autumn. Stanley North Dakota was where we first started seeing the signs of oil boom we heard so much about. The railroad is constructing the infrastructure to move it south for refining. For the most part it didn’t ruin the look of the land, at least from what we could see via railway. Karen decided it was time for a nap and between watching the scenery and her I was starting to see the wisdom in her decision.

Mountains of Big Sky Country slowly coming into sight

The train moved quickly sometimes above 100 MPH
























The scenery continued very much the same into “Big Sky Country” and we started to see antelope and mule deer. We thought living in western Illinois was rural but this area out here makes Savanna Illinois look like downtown Chicago. For the at least an hour we watched as the mountains became closer and closer hoping to make it to Glacier National Park before sunset. Karen and I sat back played cards and drank wine with our neighbor across the hallway. Fortunately we did get there before sundown, sitting in the observation car our heads were bouncing back and forth trying to capture every sight before the setting sun made it all disappear.

We made 7:30 dinner reservations and ended up sitting with Gary and Cindy from Vancouver once again. Meal choices were the same as the night before and again the food was good but not great. Our hostess gave a short speech regarding Amtrak’s funding being cut and asked that we contact our politicians to voice our displeasure. She stated that it was not long ago any dining was on nice china and now they’ve gone to a heavier plastic plates. In addition to the plastic not being as Eco friendly it’s always nice to eat on china. I felt bad for her and many of the wait staff and attendants that helped along the way as they appear to work hard and people often don’t tip or leave very little. Our car attendant Craig stated that it’s usually 6 days on and 2 off for the less senior staff. I can tell you they appear to work hard and are on the train with us the whole time.

Sun going down over Montana

More beautiful views of Montana

The start of Glacier National Park
Night seemed to roll in quickly and before I knew it Karen and I were crawling into bed. Karen said she slept great and I slept better also not even waking up when they split the train into two as one half went to Seattle and our half moves on to Portland.

Morning came quickly even with the extra hours due to the time change. I woke at 6 pst as the sun was rising for a quick shower and Karen followed shortly thereafter. I no longer think I have a cold I know I have one. Hopefully Karen won’t get it, time will tell. This mornings scenery consisted of the Columbia River Valley in Washington State. The train moved slowly along the first few miles due to a switch issue according to the conductor but after a half hour or so we were moving right along. The area is very picturesque with snow covered Mount Hood lurking in the background of many of my pictures. Native Americans pulling in long Salmon nets ply the northern shore of the river as non-Native Americans cannot fish in this area or with large nets according to locals on the train. We later spotted many fishing boats further down the river with locals fishing with poles much the way we would on Lake Michigan. Only an hour to go until our arrival in Portland.

We jumped off the train in Portland and grabbed a bus to Eugene. I was excited but feeling like crap, going through Kleenex like I owned the company. We arrived at the Eugene train station an hour or so later. Sam picked us up and gave us a tour of town while traveling to his home. 

Mount Hood in the distance overlooking the Columbia River

Ducks home from Skinner's Butte

Hiking up Spencer's Butte. Fantastic hike. If only I could smell
though my clogged nose.

















































Eugene, with a population of 156,000 is the second largest city in Oregon, hard for me to believe. I guess I’m used to the much larger cities like out east. Unfortunately I only felt like doing one thing and that was sleep. Sleep I did for two days on and off. I was feeling much better however Nicole and Karen now came down with my cold/flu and they feel just like me. Sam was sick the week before so he seem immune to the scourge that is affecting us. 

Feeling better, Karen and I have been out riding bikes,seeing the town and walking a lot while Sam and Nicole are at work. Yesterday we walked just less than 7 miles grocery shopping and sight seeing. Gotta admit my feet were a bit tired but when Sam got home we went on a 28 mile bike ride though the foothills of Eugene. Beautiful scenery and a pretty good workout for me, Sam probably could have kept going a lot longer but Karen was making pizza. We both didn’t want to be late.

We went hiking up Skinner’s and Spencer’s Butte, wonderful scenery from both. The area was really all football and “Go Duck’s!” before last Saturdays game when the Ute’s of Utah showed the Ducks how the games played. It seems the Duck’s seasons expectations have been lower quite a bit.


We’re ready to do a lot more we just need to clear our systems of the consumption that I brought upon us.
Portland, you apparently can ride bikes even in the
train station.

Sam at the top of Skinner's Butte

One handsome group. Nicole (not pictured) out sleeping trying to
rid herself of the consumption.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down