Rendezvous Week at Joe Wheeler State Park


10-13    This week Last Mango and crew are tied to a dock at Joe Wheeler State Park in Alabama. The weather has been wonderful the last few weeks with warm temperatures and mostly clear skies. Well, today that has changed. It appears to be a good time to be attending the seminars and organized events through the AGLCA rendezvous. We spent most of the day and evening in the lodge listening to various speakers and presenters. As the afternoon and evening wore on the tornado warnings kept everyone in the storm shelter. The campground was evacuated to the storm shelter area with us. As it turns out nothing too bad at the marina some wind and lots of rain. The rivers downstream of us are very high and some near flood stage. Baring any further rain the rivers should be back to normal by the time we leave on Friday.
Even the Cootie wants in Last Mango




















Many of the days looked like this





















10-14    A good nights sleep listening to the rain fall all night but we woke to some sunshine and much cooler temperatures. Instead of the mid to high 80’s we now have the low to mid 60’s. Should get a little warmer as the week progresses.

Today was full of more speakers, food and drink. I’m eating way too much and will need to stop. The food has been good and I have a tendency to over indulge. 

Karen and I pre-race
Rowing backwards, blindfolded at the finish line
Karen and I entered a dinghy race even though we have no motor on our dinghy. I wasn’t going to enter because I’ve seen some of the dinghies other boats have. Twenty HP motors and larger, I think some of these could pull water-skiers. The organizer assured me that horse power and size didn’t necessarily matter. Karen and I reluctantly signed up. The rules are as follows: The Captain (Husbands) are blindfolded and must propel the dinghy backwards through the coarse with only the first mate (Wives) giving directions without being able to touch the captain. I still thought we would get smoked however I didn’t realize how difficult it is to back a dinghy with the outboards. That was good for us. Karen and I got 3rd place and won a nice fleece blanket. I hope to find a video of our efforts because it sounds hilarious. Anyone who knows Karen knows that she talks with her hands and the dinghy was no different. Apparently she was very animated in her direction giving even though I could not see her. She’s now the talk of the rendezvous. If I can find a video I’ll post it. It appears we were within 2 seconds of the second place team. Simon and Sylvi from Quebec and first place team was from New York. All three teams finish in under two minutes. Great fun!



10-15    Today was more of the same. Different speakers of course and different food. However the evening was a change. Karen and I bought tickets to a night of dinner and music put on by the town of Rodgersville. The shindig was held at an old cotton gin and the food was catered in. Music was from talented local musicians. Karen and I had a great time. I even got Karen to dance a bit and we made s’mores over the fire. However that’s where the fun ended because she wouldn’t make out with me on the way back to Last mango on the bus. I guess she’s still a bit modest after 28 years of marriage.

Cotton Gin decorated for us Loopers

My attempt at a panorama view




















10-16    The last day and we’re getting excited to move on to new places and faces. It’s been great here and Joe Wheeler but we now have a hunger for Florida and the Bahamas. Of course Mobile and New Orleans comes first.

10-17    We got up this morning at 7am prepared to leave. Rodger on “Ta Ta” has arranged priority lock throughs for the Wheeler and Wilson Locks. We all have assigned places in the locks. There’s 19 boats leaving and everything went great in the Wheeler Lock. At the second the wind had kicked up quite a bit making it difficult for some boats to make it to there assigned spots. Last Mango had to move up and raft 3 deep up to “Just Us and Pura Vida” Luckily we made it look easy with the help of Just Us.

Loopers lined up waiting to enter the Lock

Leaving Joe Wheeler State Park Marina

Rafted to Average Looper in Wheeler Lock

Rafted 3 deep in Wilson Lock, Going down 94 feet.

Windy a top of Wilson Lock

Spectators at Wheeler Lock.

























































































So it’s 10pm and here Karen and I sit on the back of Last Mango listening to Van Morrison on the Sirius radio digesting dinner. It’s a beautiful night, still 65 degrees. A very mellow night. Tomorrow the river is shut down for “Dragon Boat Races” I’ll report on that when I see exactly what it is.

Last Mango lit up in Florence Alabama

Local 3022 Fundraising idea?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of contact for a while

Good Bye Key West, Hello Shut Down